The fear of climate change has started this blog

    College is out, and summer break is here. I have free time, and the weather is getting warmer. So lately, I have been thinking about climate change. And climate change is one of those things that gets scarier the more you think about it.

    Yesterday I was stationary biking when I began to sweat. It was around 80 degrees, and suddenly, I thought about how uncomfortable it would be if the heat I felt then were permanent, spreading until there was nowhere we could hide. At first, people would probably fight to stay indoors, concentrating by air conditioners. Poor people would be the first to die. However, in the end, even air conditioning wouldn’t be enough, generating more and more CO2 until a thickening atmosphere eventually suffocates us all, trapped with the still growing heat.

    Now, I know that's far from what global warming is. Even if we mess up really badly, the temperature won't go up by more than a few degrees. However, that stickiness of summer heat made me think about what “increased heat-related illness” may feel like. There will also be more intense natural disasters, famine, and drought. As I'm typing, I have gone a few hours without water. My throat is a little dry. It's no big deal. But what if I didn’t know I could go downstairs to get water? Instead, if I didn’t know how long I would have to endure this thirst, I would panic and lose it. Thinking about climate change and the helplessness I imagine people in the future will have to deal with makes me scared in a way I usually am not. And with the 2050 projected impacts of climate change, that could be us.

    In my life, I try to be eco-conscious, but I haven’t tried to change others because I'm afraid of being self-righteous or pushy. Caring about the environment can also be a burden, sometimes making my own life uncomfortable. Being sensitive about single-use plastic can make me act uptight and difficult. I even lashed out at my mom for buying too many "wasteful" presents for my birthday, and I regret it. It will be hard to care about the environment until society makes changes to normalize sustainability. I hope it happens. The growth of green cities, circular economies, sustainable agriculture, and renewable energy may not be too far off with the efforts of people around the world.

    However, as the hot sun shines through my window and my laptop tries desperately to cool itself down, it still feels more urgent than before for me to do something right now. Trying to be sustainable without disrupting anyone else has its limits, and it closes me off from learning from others. This blog is my journey in sustainability and fighting climate change. 

    These are my thoughts about the environment, and reflections on college and adult life in general. Welcome to my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 eco-friendly products I've tried

How to Find a *Sustainable, High Quality, and Affordable* Laptop

Can Owning an Etsy Shop be Sustainable?